Job Brief: This position is housed within the Corporate Secretary’s Office of the Santander US Legal Department. The Corporate Secretary’s Office directly supports the Board of Directors and Board Committees of each of Santander Holdings, USA and Santander Bank, NA. In addition, the Corporate Secretary’s Office works closely with the Corporate Secretaries of each of the other Santander US legal entities to ensure substantive alignment, consistent procedures, and to share best practices. The Corporate Secretary function relies on its attorney members to provide expertise in corporate and bank regulatory law. In addition, the Corporate Secretary’s Office includes a Board Administrator who is an expert in logistics, organization, event planning and communications. All members of the Corporate Secretary’s office are encouraged to keep apprised of current developments and world-class practices in corporate and financial services-related governance.
The Paralegal will perform responsibilities that primarily support the activities of the Corporate Secretary’s Office but will be called upon to support other areas of the Legal Department as necessary, including working closely with attorneys who support Banco Santander Group governance initiatives and SHUSA and Santander Bank management level governance committees. The position reports to the Corporate Secretary.
- Perform a variety of responsibilities related to corporate governance, including support relating to Board and Risk, Audit, Compensation, Nominations and Executive Committee meetings;
- Prepare agendas, legal and governance materials for the Board and Committees;
- Manage communications to the members of the Board of Directors between meetings and associated regulatory communications;
- Be part of a team that uploads, maintains, and manages information on the Electronic Board Portal;
- Be available from time to time to work in the office or remotely on the evenings and weekends to support the flow of information to the Directors and to facilitate moving deadlines for Board materials;
- Update and maintain shared governance databases, contact and distribution lists on a timely basis;
- Assist in maintaining accurate retention of the organization's Board and Committee materials and minutes;
- Assist in researching and compiling historical Board materials in response to inquiries from internal and external auditors and regulators;
- Assist in compiling governance-related materials for regulatory exams;
- Support updating of committee charters, calendars and follow-up lists;
- Assist with corporate governance compliance and bank regulatory requirements;
- Conduct business-specific research, analyze data, interpret results, and assist in implementation activities;
- Develop effective working relationships with employees at all levels;
- Master responsibilities of the Corporate Secretary’s Office of the Legal Department to provide sound and responsive service to other functional and support areas of SHUSA and its subsidiaries;
- Consistently anticipate customer needs and deliver a high level of service, support, and proactive involvement to leadership and peers;
- Contribute to solutions by taking an initiative to develop alternatives and recommendations;
- Offer ideas and suggestions to improve complex work processes and/or projects;
- Actively seek ways to add value within scope of assignments.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- At least three (3) years professional work experience.
- Legal/paralegal experience at a public company preferred.
- Proficiency with an electronic board portal application preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with word processing systems, spreadsheets, databases and presentation software.
- Ability to perform in-depth research and present results.
- Proven experience in a position requiring time management, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in both a team-environment and independently.
- Possess strong organizational, project management and multi-tasking skills.
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We encourage everyone to apply.